In the midst of cold and flu season, and with news of powerful viruses spreading germs and fear, staying healthy is nothing to sneeze at. But your best protection from getting sick is a strong immune system. That’s because the immune system is the body’s defense against illness and infection. It’s constantly working to fight off disease and keep you at your best. When your immune system is running well, you’ll stay healthy. But when it’s compromised by germs or bad habits, you’ll get sick and need to build up your immune system so it’s able to protect you again. The way to do this is by making small changes in your daily routine. Then, you’ll be well on your way to staying well.
Your Best Defense is Better Habits
A healthy body demands a healthy lifestyle. See, making little changes to your life can have a big effect on how well your immune system is able to protect you from illness.
If you’re sick of getting sick, make it a habit to follow these simple steps:
- Wash your hands on a regular basis.
- Stay up to date on your vaccinations.
- Incorporate exercise into your routine.
- Get enough sleep.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid too much alcohol.
- Don’t smoke.
- Reduce stress in your life.
- Spend time with people you enjoy.
- Ask for support when you need it.
Eat to Beat Illness
Eating well is one of the keys to staying well. A diet full of fruits, vegetables, lean protein and healthy grains can help your body fight off diseases. Luckily, eating a healthy diet is as easy as A, B, C… along with D and E, which are the vitamins needed to help strengthen your immune system.
Check out what these nutrients can do and how to get your fill:
- Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that helps your body fight off infection. It’s found in carrots, sweet potatoes and cantaloupe.
- Both vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 help keep your immune system functioning
properly. You’ll find vitamin B6 in beef liver, tuna, salmon, turkey and chickpeas, while vitamin B12 is in salmon, beef, chicken and eggs.
- The biggest immunity-booster of all is vitamin C, which is in citrus fruits, strawberries, bell peppers and Brussels sprouts.
- A daily dose of vitamin D will keep your immune system working well. Find it in fatty fish like salmon, along with fortified foods like milk, orange juice and cereals.
- And don’t forget about vitamin E, another immune-boosting antioxidant found in
nuts, seeds and spinach.
While it’s always ideal to get your nutrients through food, it’s not always easy to get enough to keep your immune system strong. But you can fill in the gaps in your diet and fulfill your daily needs by taking high-quality supplements.
Look for the following vitamins, minerals and supplements to help support a healthy immune system:
- Strengthen and heighten your immune system with a vitamin D supplement that also has Vitamin K.
- Help your immune system fight off infection with the protection of a vitamin C supplement.
- Taking a high-potency zinc supplement can help improve your overall immunity.
- Need to boost your immune system’s ability to protect you from getting sick? Ask your functional medicine provider for a 7-keto DHEA supplement.
- Add a high-quality pharmaceutical grade multi-vitamin to your daily dose.
- Give B12 injections a shot to build up your immunity.
- Want to infuse your immune system with an antioxidant powerhouse? Try glutathione nutrient IV therapy.
- And give your body a supercharged, immunity-boosting blend of vitamins and minerals with bWell nutrient IV therapy.
- Supercharge your immune system and keep your hands clean with a form of Colloidal Silver, like Argentyn 23.
If you’re unsure about dosages or how to get the right amount of the vitamins and minerals your body needs, consult with your functional medicine provider.
Call the biostation™ today at 561-257-3497 or contact us online to schedule your private, personal consultation.