So many of us start year after year with the goal of losing weight, only to give up or lose interest.
I propose that 2014 be different.
Consider goal setting with this twist: 2014 will be the year you make a resolution to get as healthy as you can possibly be. So, it’s not simply to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. It’s much more.
The secret of success
How do I propose that you do this successfully? The secret is to not go it alone.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people
- Work out in groups
- Quit bad habits in groups
- Start healthy-eating and healthy-living regimens in groups
- Make this commitment with people who will inspire you to reach your goal
Work out in groups
Exercise is half the equation when it comes to successfully losing weight or maintaining healthy weight. You not only need to be lean to feel good; you also need to be fit. Studies have shown people are more likely to stick with exercise if they work out in groups, versus alone. Group exercising offers these benefits over solo workouts:
- Exercising with others helps to unleash brain chemicals that trigger the satisfaction and joy we feel when dancing or laughing, which makes working out more pleasurable.
- People who work out in groups tend to have a higher threshold for pain than solo exercisers, and they can work out at a higher intensity.
Four ideas to get you started
- Consider signing up for a local running or obstacle race. If you haven’t ever done one, you might start at the short end, with a 5K (3.1-mile) event. You’ll find that the spirit of competition, camaraderie of being with other athletes, and a fun environment are addictive.
- Sign up for group fitness classes at a gym. Test the fitness waters to determine what you like. Some love specialized workouts, like CrossFit. Others prefer spinning classes. Ideally, you’ll like several types of workouts and change things up each week.
- Join a local cycling, swimming, or running group. Almost all cities have these communities, which have planned weekly workouts, as well as social events.
- Think globally about your health. Balance working out with a healthy diet and attention to supplementation, with nutraceuticals and nutraceutical therapy.
Getting healthy and staying healthy takes a village. You’ll find that by surrounding yourself with people who are active and health conscious, you’ll be more motivated to stay the healthy course and less likely to quit—only to have to try again in 2015.
At the biostation™, our medical and lifestyle specialists work with you to develop customized health regimens, which help you achieve the highest possible quality of life and health. Our individual hormone and nutraceutical therapies include addressing hormonal imbalances and achieving optimal wellness with supplementation with pharmaceutical-grade, high-performance multivitamins and essential amino acids. Each regimen is based on your bioID™ and goals to optimize your health and performance.
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2014!
– Martin G. Bloom, M.D.
Call the biostation today at 888-754-1852 or contact us online to schedule your private, personal consultation.
The biostation™ offers a comprehensive, individualized, scientific approach to age management, delivering total wellness for men and women looking to rejuvenate their bodies, revitalize their minds, and reclaim confidence. Our medical specialists provide a highly personalized experience using the latest advances in science and medicine including hormone replacement therapy, nutraceutical therapy, and nutrient IV therapy. Our medical director, Martin G. Bloom, M.D., customizes treatments to meet your personal needs and wellness goals, guiding you through the entire process to ensure success and satisfaction. To rediscover the health, fitness, and vitality of your youth, discover the biostation.