It’s that time of year again—the kids are back in school, the holiday mayhem hasn’t begun, and you have some time to focus on you. And, if you are like most people, embracing health management is at the top of your to-do list. After all, you want to look your best at all the family gatherings and holiday parties, as well as sail right into the New Year unfazed by the decadent treats that tempt even the most stalwart health fanatics.
So, what’s the secret? Your metabolism. The key to healthy weight management day after day, year after year, isn’t superhuman willpower, it’s a well-functioning metabolism. A dysfunctional metabolism can make weight loss and management an uphill battle you can’t win. Of course, in the age of high-stress, nonstop lifestyles complete with fast, processed foods on the go, it’s no surprise most people struggle with metabolic efficiency. So, instead of waging war with the scale, strive to repair your metabolism and the results (i.e., weight loss) will certainly follow. Start your journey with these key steps to improve metabolic health:
1. Get plenty of quality sleep. It’s not just about quantity, quality counts, too. The number of hours you clock lying in bed matter very little if you aren’t experiencing the full sleep cycle. Sleep is your body’s opportunity to repair and that includes your metabolism. Adults should strive for 7 to 8 hours each night and develop a bedtime routine that begins 1 to 2 hours before you want to be asleep and does not include the TV, computer, tablet, or cellphone.
2. Minimize stress. If there is anything that keeps your metabolism from functioning fully, it’s stress. Stress can wreak havoc on your entire body and your metabolism is no exception. Chronic stress, including the never-ending barrage of stimulation from the daily grind, can lead to excess secretion of the hormone cortisol, which can slow your metabolism to a crawl and induce weight gain, energy crashes, cravings, and even moodiness. To keep your stress in check, strive to steal a moment, even just 5 minutes, to clear your mind and let your body relax. This can be through meditation, breathing techniques or, for some, yoga classes or a brisk jog outdoors can offer momentary freedom from life’s stressors.
3. Take a peek inside your body. How can you really repair your metabolism if you don’t know exactly what is happening inside your body? A comprehensive blood panel can give you a much-needed perspective on your body’s function. Even young people in so-called “perfect” health can benefit. Having your normal lab panels on hand can help a doctor easily identify treatment options if something goes awry in the future; he or she will have something very personalized to compare your results to. Furthermore, a hormone imbalance is not something you necessarily see or feel on the outside, but even one out-of-whack hormone can tank your metabolism and leave you battling the bulge no matter how hard you try. Get your blood tested and know what’s happening inside and out.
4. Strive for blood sugar balance. If you often wonder what you should be eating to improve metabolic health, harness energy, stabilize your moods, and keep your weight in check, ask yourself, “Will this food item/meal keep my blood sugar in balance?” Foods or meals that are heavy in simple sugars and starchy carbohydrates can cause spikes in blood sugars levels that can lead to a crash later. On the other hand, very heavy meals laden with processed foods and saturated fat can cause your metabolism to drag, leaving you tired and struggling for energy. The best meals are a nice balance of lean proteins, vegetables, a small portion of low-sugar fruits, and a moderate serving of healthy fats. Eat meals that are portioned to achieve satisfaction, not feeling full or uncomfortable.
5. Let fat fuel your workouts. You’ve heard the phrase “work smarter, not harder.” Nowhere is that more true than on the gym floor or wherever your workouts take you. If you really want to rev up your metabolism and torch some fat, you have to know your heart rate zones. This information can ensure that you keep the intensity of your workout in a zone where you can optimally burn fat. Get to know your heart rate zones and where your body works most efficiently, then take control of your metabolism and make it work for you.
Call the biostation™ today at 561-257-2511 or contact us online to schedule your private, personal consultation.
the biostation™ offers a comprehensive, individualized, scientific approach to age management, delivering total wellness for men and women looking to rejuvenate their bodies, revitalize their minds, and reclaim confidence. Located in Delray Beach, just north of Boca Raton, Florida, the biostation’s medical specialists provide a highly personalized experience using the latest advances in science and medicine including hormone replacement therapy, nutraceutical therapy, and nutrient IV therapy. Our medical director, Martin G. Bloom, M.D., customizes treatments to meet your personal needs and wellness goals, guiding you through the entire process to ensure success and satisfaction. To rediscover the health, fitness, and vitality of your youth, discover the biostation.