Can’t stop the carb cravings and fridge raids at night? Often these “bedtime binges” are related to an imbalance of hormones. After all, your hormones control just about everything, including your appetite and stress levels. Use these eight steps to keep nighttime binge eating from harming your healthy lifestyle:
1. Eat breakfast. Research toys with the notion year after year, trying to prove that breakfast just might not be the most important meal of the day. However, what many trials fail to observe when demeaning the importance of breakfast is the key to the meal’s
benefits—food choices. Cereal is not your best option, nor is that on-go-the-go muffin or breakfast bar. The key is whole foods. And, while your busy schedule may not make eggs and avocado a possibility, you can create a protein shake that’s equally nutritious.
2.Avoid drinking your calories. Aside from the aforementioned protein shakes made with whole foods, you don’t want to drink your calories. Gulping down a 12-ounce soda or sipping on 8 ounces of juice add more than 100 empty calories to your daily intake and sets the scene for wacky blood sugar levels and cravings that can last well into the night.
3.Develop an eating routine. Your body likes routine because those hormones that control everything like to keep a tight schedule. So, adjust to eating three balanced meals each day around the same time and, if you’re active, you may need to supplement with healthy, whole food snacks before or after your high-intensity workouts.
4. Eat protein and healthy fats at every meal. Proteins and fats are great sources of useful calories that promote satiety. And, these macronutrients keep your blood sugar steady, so you don’t get the peaks and crashes that come with carbs and sugar—or the cravings.
5. Manage stress. Stress is top contributor to binge eating, especially at the end of the day, when you feel weak after battling a busy schedule. Your body has physical reactions to stress that can increase your appetite, induce cravings for sugar and carbs, as well as tank your energy (think willpower) to resist temptation. Practice stress management techniques daily to keep your sanity and cravings in check.
6. Make sleep a priority. Studies have shown time and time again that people who don’t sleep enough have a higher BMI and consume more empty calories throughout the day (and those are just the effects related to food cravings—too little sleep can raise your disease risk, too.) So, get some shuteye and plenty of it. Most adults ideally need between 6.5 to 8 hours each night of quality sleep. Develop a bedtime routine to help you wind down and fall asleep fast, so you can make the most of your sleep. Oh, and one more tip: eating before bed can hinder sleep quality—just one more reason to skip the bedtime snacks.
7. Know your food sensitivities. Food sensitivities are becoming a well-understood factor in the battle against food cravings, weight gain, and G.I. discomfort. Many people are unaware of the impact the wrong foods can have on their quality of life. It’s no easy task to uncover your personal food sensitivities, but with the help of advanced testing and the professionals at the biostation, you can pinpoint the culprits keeping you from healthy weight management.
8. Take targeted supplements. Nutritional deficiencies are another key perpetrator in cravings and nighttime binge eating. It’s all about balance. If your body is missing any vital nutrient, optimal function can be hindered and eating junk food often hinders adequate nutrition status. Working with an expert to develop a targeted nutritional plan—one that meets your specific needs for your age, gender, and lifestyle—can have a good impact on your dietary habits. At the biostation, you can get pharmaceutical-grade supplements, be tested for specific deficiencies, and work with this dynamic team of health professionals to establish a well-rounded nutrition and supplement plan to ensure that you achieve your health and wellness goals.
Call the biostation™ today at 888-754-1852 or contact us online to schedule your private, personal consultation.
the biostation™ offers a comprehensive, individualized, scientific approach to age management, delivering total wellness for men and women looking to rejuvenate their bodies, revitalize their minds, and reclaim confidence. Our medical specialists provide a highly personalized experience using the latest advances in science and medicine including hormone replacement therapy, nutraceutical therapy, and nutrient IV therapy. Our medical director, Martin G. Bloom, M.D., customizes treatments to meet your personal needs and wellness goals, guiding you through the entire process to ensure success and satisfaction. To rediscover the health, fitness, and vitality of your youth, discover the biostation.