As a woman, if you’ve been struggling with depression, anxiety, moodiness, insomnia or some other cognitive issue, it’s not all in your head. In fact, it may be in your hormones or your diet. One in every five women faces a mental health issue at some time in her life, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. But research shows that the cause may lie in a hormonal imbalance or nutritional deficiency, which can easily be corrected. As part of our October Women’s Wellness series and in support of World Mental Health Day on October 10th, we’re shining the spotlight on how hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and healthy nutrition can get your system back in balance so you can feel like yourself again.
Nourish Your Need for Well-Being
While a healthy diet is good for your body, it’s also great for your mind. Research shows that proper nutrition can potentially improve your mental health and even decrease your risk of developing a mental illness.
See, the vitamins, minerals and amino acids you consume affect the function and structure of your brain, as well as your mood. Some of the most beneficial for mental health include omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, niacin, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. Studies have shown that a proper intake of these nutrients can help improve your mood, relieve anxiety, ease depression and enhance the mental capacity of people with Alzheimer’s disease.
By recognizing any nutritional deficiencies you have, you can get the nutrients that can potentially improve your mental health.
Your Mental Health Hangs in the Balance
The hormonal balance, that is. From puberty throughout your life, your hormones play a vital role in your health. Think of hormones as chemical messengers that regulate your body’s functions, including reproduction, metabolism, sexual function, growth and even your mood.
Unfortunately, important hormones such as estrogen, testosterone and progesterone naturally decline with age. If your levels decrease too quickly or fall too low, you can experience uncomfortable physical, psychological and emotional symptoms. Women are especially vulnerable to these hormonal changes as the body adapts to pregnancy, the stages of menopause and the natural aging process. These declines often contribute to depression, anxiety, irritability, mood swings and unsettling cognitive issues.
But recent studies suggest that HRT can help improve many of these conditions and restore a sense of well-being in women during this time. This is because regaining your proper balance of hormones increases the “feel good” chemicals of serotonin and endorphins in your brain. In addition, it also protects the nerves in the brain from damage and may possibly stimulate nerve growth, which may help protect you from developing serious cognitive disorders.
Regain Peace of Mind with a Total Health Evaluation
If you’re experiencing any uncomfortable mental, psychological or emotional symptoms, your nutrition or hormones may be to blame. At the biostation™, we believe that the first step to optimizing your health and sense of well-being is identifying any deficiencies or imbalances with a Total Health Evaluation. This specialized diagnostic testing allows our medical experts to customize therapies that will provide the best outcomes for you.
Your Total Wellness Evaluation includes:
- Performance Blood Panel – Our state-of-the-art diagnostic test that measures vital aspects of your health to discover the root cause of your issue and the best course of treatment.
- 1-Hour Consultation – One of our medical experts will meet with you to discuss your medical history and lifestyle, perform a physical exam, review your testing and answer your questions.
- InBody Composition Testing – In just 30 seconds, we will have an accurate look at your body’s health from the inside out.
- Your bioID™ – Your unique bioID report and personal wellness protocol will identify the customized treatments recommended to achieve the results you desire.
- Dedicated Patient Advocate – Our Concierge Medical Service starts with the assignment of your personal Patient Advocate who is always available to help guide you through our process, answer your questions, track your progress and cheer you on.
- Continued Monitoring and Testing – We will closely monitor your progress and schedule follow-up testing to ensure your success.
Together with the biostation and your Total Wellness Evaluation, you can regain your body’s balance and restore your peace of mind.