Yes, it’s that time of year again. First, the countdown to that 3,000-calorie day, which kicks off the holiday season and, seemingly, a license to gorge. But, what if there were a way to enjoy the holiday season, relish a few guilty pleasures, and emerge unscathed by added pounds?
How to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain
Follow these seven steps to skip the holiday weight gain.
1. Don’t skip sleep or exercise. There’s just something about the holidays—you feel warm and fuzzy. You want to sip cocoa by the fire until the wee hours of the morning. And what you don’t want to do is uncurl from this blessed warmth to brave the cold for a jog or even a quick sprint to the gym. Don’t make these mistakes. Put down the cocoa, strap on your running shoes, and snuggle in bed when all is said and done—you need your sleep and your exercise to keep your weight in check, especially during the holidays.
2. Don’t drink your calories. Egg nog. Hot cocoa. Mulled wine. Peppermint lattes. There are some beverages that are just simply synonymous with holiday cheer. How can you resist? Consider just how many calories each sip is costing you. Plus, too many alcoholic beverages can leave with a nasty hangover and a dangerously slow metabolism. Indulge, but keep it occasional and moderate.
3. Don’t eat if you’re not hungry. This seems obvious, but it is a top weight management strategy to use year ‘round. Learn to distinguish hunger from cravings or boredom. Sure, those yogurt-covered pretzels are delicious and that tin of caramel or cheese popcorn is to die for, but do you really to snack endlessly on those holiday delights while watching “Elf” for the third time? Not likely. Instead, save the yogurt pretzel for dessert after a light lunch and limit yourself to three. And, if that popcorn is on your mind all the time, have some as your midday snack, but limit your portions to no more than half a cup if you choose caramel flavored and one cup if you choose cheese or butter flavors. Keep snacks to 100 to 150 calories, especially when they’re empty-calorie foods.
4. Don’t forget to start with fats. Fats increase satiety and are the major flavor punch at any meal. Eat your fats first and you will be less likely to overindulge for the rest of the meal.
5. Don’t underestimate the power of walking. It’s cold outside, making a jog seem like the chore of the century. But, ‘tis the season to shop, check out holiday lights, and take yummy treats to all your neighbors. What better way to spread holiday cheer and cash in on some calorie burning by using your own two feet? Go for a walk at the mall (without the latte in hand), check out the local holiday light displays by walking through your neighborhood (bundle up!), or bake some goodies for a homebound neighbor and brighten their day by walking over and spreading cheer.
6. Don’t deprive yourself. No one says you have to gnaw on celery and carrots like Santa’s reindeer while everyone else makes merry with turkey and stuffing washed down with wine. Be choosy about where you indulge. Holiday meals, like Thanksgiving dinner, are reason to celebrate and enjoy without guilt. But, you should strive to be conscious of your choices, so be aware at the holiday party at work. Limit yourself to one low-calorie drink and skip the dessert line. If it’s a friend’s party, bring your own healthy dish. When you have the option, use the 85/15 rule: choose healthy 85 percent of the time, then 15 percent of the time you can really enjoy yourself.
7. Don’t go it alone. Call the biostation™. We have a registered dietician on staff who can help you review your holiday events and devise strategies for success. the biostation’s director of lifestyle nutrition is available to offer one-on-one nutrition consultations, including meal-planning services, targeted weight loss regimens, and diet and nutrition-based treatment plans designed to address your individual health concerns or specific performance goals.
Call the biostation™ today at 561-257-2511 or contact us online to schedule your private, personal consultation.
the biostation™ offers a comprehensive, individualized, scientific approach to age management, delivering total wellness for men and women looking to rejuvenate their bodies, revitalize their minds, and reclaim confidence. Located in Delray Beach, just north of Boca Raton, Florida, the biostation’s medical specialists provide a highly personalized experience using the latest advances in science and medicine including hormone replacement therapy, nutraceutical therapy, and nutrient IV therapy. Our medical director, Martin G. Bloom, M.D., customizes treatments to meet your personal needs and wellness goals, guiding you through the entire process to ensure success and satisfaction. To rediscover the health, fitness, and vitality of your youth, discover the biostation.